Archive for the ‘writing update’ Category

The last week I didn’t get as much done as I should have.  Occasionally these things happen, which is why I went hard at the beginning to bank extra words, so to speak, to cover such periods.  But I picked up in the last couple of days, finishing off one rewrite (the thirteenth) and a new rough draft of over 16,000 words.  By the time the rewrite is done it will probably be closer to 20,000.

Block 1: Target: 3500 words. Output: 3745.  Overall total: 30175 (Target: 28000).

Block 2: Target: 7000 words.  Output: 5489. Overall total: 56523 (Target: 56000).

Block 3: Target: 10500 words. Output: 11084.  Overall total: 108758 (Target: 84000).

2014 total to date: 195456 (Target: 168000).  Daily average: 3429 words.

Advertisements

It is not long now and we will be two months into the year.  I’ve fallen beside on some things I would have liked to accomplish, but the word count continues to churn along.  This week saw the minimum done to hit my targets, but hopefully that can pick up again soon.  Another rewrite was finished, meaning there are now eleven stories that need a final proof read then covers etc.  There are two more rough drafts getting close to completion as well, one drifting towards novella territory.

Block 1: Target: 3500 words. Output: 3725.  Overall total: 26430 (Target: 24500).

Block 2: Target: 7000 words.  Output: 7139. Overall total: 51034 (Target: 49000).

Block 3: Target: 10500 words. Output: 10846.  Overall total: 97674 (Target: 73500).

2014 total to date: 175138(Target: 147000).  Daily average: 3574 words.

I had a mix of good days and poor days writing wise this week, but in the end it all managed to even out and I remain ahead of track to complete the 1,000,000 word goal this year.  Finished off another rewrite and another rough draft.

Block 1: Target: 3500 words. Output: 3677.  Overall total: 22705(Target: 21000).

Block 2: Target: 7000 words.  Output: 7023. Overall total: 43895(Target: 42000).

Block 3: Target: 10500 words. Output: 10522.  Overall total: 86828(Target: 63000).

2014 total to date: 153428 (Target: 126000).  Daily average: 3653 words.

This week didn’t go as well as it could have.  Still got writing done, but a couple of days of work ate up some of the time.  I fell short on the rewrite quota for the week, but the words in the bank have kept me ahead.

 

Block 1: Target: 3500 words. Output: 3702.  Overall total: 19028 (Target: 17500).

Block 2: Target: 7000 words.  Output: 7139. Overall total: 36872 (Target: 35000).

Block 3: Target: 10500 words. Output: 9078.  Overall total: 76306 (Target: 52500).

2014 total to date: 132735 (Target: 105000).  Daily average: 3792 words.

 

January is now over and it is time to take stock of the last month.

In terms of writing, I have never done more.  The grand total was 120203 words written.  Those were split the following way.

16878 words were written on the background notes for the epic fantasy series I’ve started working on.  That covers the history leading up to around the time the books will be starting.  From now the notes will be a little more detailed and will start to sketch the outlines of the stories.

32769 words were on rough drafts and outlines.  I wrote up short outlines for 14 stories, as well as finishing off 2 previously started rough drafts and completing 2 new rough drafts of short fiction.

70556 words were of rewrites of old rough drafts.  I now have 1 novella, 6 novelettes and 2 short stories finished, with another 2 novelettes in the process of being rewritten.  Those are split between three of my short fiction series – The Chronicles of the White Bull, The Deeds of Peregrine and Blade and The Adventures of Sir Richard Hammerman.

During this month I hope to proofread/edit them, get them covers and publish them.

We are now four weeks into the year.  Yes really.  Time does fly.  Apart from one day I’ve hit all the quotas again and kept the word count above what is needed.  Which is good, as from tomorrow I’ll have less time on my hands.  There was one day during the week that I didn’t hit all 3 quotas set.  A few things happened that day, those behing going out to meet some people and have a meal, car troubles,which resultes in it being towed, weekly grocery shopping and of course spending time with my wife.  Days like that are why I have extra words banked up.

Block 1: Target: 3500 words. Output: 3754.  Overall total: 15326

Block 2: Target: 7000 words.  Output: 7485. Overall total: 29733

Block 3: Target: 10500 words. Output: 14848.  Overall total: 67288

2014 total to date: 112287.  Daily average: 4010 words.

During the third week, as I mentioned previous, I ran into a spot of bother with the computer, which led me to think around 5 days of work was inaccessible.  Luckily I was able to recover it all and was able to continue making all the quotas I’d set.

Block 1: Target: 3500 words.  Output: 3891.  Overall total: 11572

Block 2: Target: 7000 words.  Output: 7570.  Overall total: 22248

Block 3: Target 10500 words.  Output: 17102.  Overall total: 52380.

2014 total to date: 86200.  Daily average: 4104 words.

The total required for the month to stay on target for 1,000,000 words was 84940, so I have already passed that.  If I keep up the current rate, I’ll make around 120,000, which will help offset later times when I may not be able to hit the quota.